Caleb can ride a 2 wheel bike and is so excited. It's amazing how big a smile its brought to my face and heart this week to see him do it too. A couple months before he turned 5, we told him that he should try and learn to ride a 2 wheeler when he turns 5. We told him that Eli learned just a few days after his 5th b-day. Caleb didn't care though. He was so indifferent about it and didn't seem interested. He liked his tricycles a lot. Anyway, Tuesday morning came and we went in the back yard to play. He asked if I could teach him how to ride a 2 wheeler. I said sure, but that there wasn't enough room in our back yard to learn. He didn't care and wanted to try right then. So I gave him a couple pushes and tried to hold him steady for a few rides. He seemed really wobbly and unsure. I wasn't sure if it would happen too fast for him, but I told him we should try it at the church parking lot where there was more room. So we loaded up and with only a couple pushes, he was off on his own. I was so impressed! He had a hard time stopping, but he even wanted to ride without my pushing him. Now he and Eli have been riding around in the backyard (over the grass) and having so much fun. We went to the church again yesterday and he was blazing around the parking lot, up hill and down, without any braking problems.
When he was at home, he fell a few times and hurt himself a lot. So I reminded him of our conversation on the first day trying to ride, which was about how when I first learned to ride a bike, I fell down a lot and got lots of scrapes on my knees. When I reminded him of this, his tears stopped and he didn't feel so bad about falling anymore. It was interesting to see him thinking about that.
And for some reason, as I watched Eli and Caleb biking around together, I got emotional. My boys were finally having outdoor fun that was a new mature-ish thing to do. I can't believe Caleb is old enough physically and emotionally to ride a bike.
I love that Caleb has learned to ride a bike. I think it has meant a lot to him to be able to do it and be good at it. I love that he and Eli can have this kind of fun together too.
No comments:
Post a Comment